Friday, October 9, 2009

A B Story

The following is an adoption story about Bandit, fka Beasley, one of Queenie's Bs.

First off, I would like to say that we have never been a cat family. We have always had dogs. The last dog we had was Coco, a Black Lab, and probably the best dog we had ever had. We had to put her down for health reasons when she was 12 1/2 years old. It was like losing one of our kids. We vowed to never get another pet again. That was 12 years ago.

Around 6 years ago, we started talking about getting another dog, but then realizing we were gone too much and it wouldn't be fair to him/her. Wouldn't you know it, the day before Valentines Day, a little black kitty was in our yard and on our deck looking in practically the entire day. We figured it would go home eventually. It got to 9 below that night. The next morning, I opened the drapes, and he came running out from under the deck. I opened the door and he jumped into my arms and has been there ever since. That is Smokey. We think Cocoa came back as a cat. We love him to pieces.

Then I have been bugging my husband, Curt to get Smokey a companion. He would have nothing to do with that notion. Our granddaughter Jessica became a Feline Foster Mom. We would go over to see her kitties and we would all gang up on Curt that we should get a kitty for Smokey. The next time I took Smokey to the Vet, I asked her opinion on what we should do and she was all for having a second cat in the house.

So Jessica took me shopping, with carrier on board and cash in my purse anticipating that I would be coming home with a new addition. Wouldn't you know it, we walked into Petco, where 3 foster moms were showing their cats in hopes they would get permanent homes. When I saw 5 Black kitties, I knew I was done for. I picked them up one at a time and Beasley, now Bandit, warmed up to me and said he was the one.

He was welcomed by Smokey after the 4th day, and they have been best friends ever since. It is wonderful to see them take turns grooming each other one minute and rough housing the next, Smokey is so much more content now that we have a playmate for him. This is the best thing we could have done.

Now Curt says “How can I love a kitty so much? I love him just as much as I love Smokey.”

And I know that they think I am their pet. They totally rule me.

Adopting a kitty through Feline Rescue is the best thing we ever did!

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails